Wednesday 9 October 2013

"The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence. I knew perfectly well the cars were making a noise, and the people in them and behind the lit windows of the buildings were making a noise, and the river was making a noise, but I couldn't hear a thing. The city hung in my window, flat as a poster, glittering and blinking, but it might just as well not have been there at all, for the good it did me." (Chapter 2)

"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." (Chapter 5)

"I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days." (Chapter 8)

"I didn't want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I'd cry for a week. I could feel tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full." (Chapter 9)

"I felt dumb and subdued. Every time I tried to concentrate, my mind glided off, like a skater, into a large empty space, and pirouetted there, absently. (Chapter 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment